Another Stray

This morning my hubby's alarm went off so I got up, but when I looked out through the kitchen window across the paddock I saw the biggest stray dog. The other half called me back to bed so I did so, making it my goal to mention the sighting to my mother-in-law when I eventually got up out of bed. Sure enough, she'd been woken up numerous times during the night by the massive canine as he first tried to get comfortable under the house, then as he tried to push Nelly, the remaining pooch of the household out of bed.
The first thing you'll notice is his size: Dog X's head is just on level with my breasts. The next thing you'll notice is the markings: he has a lighter muzzle and underbelly couple by light brown everywhere else. The third thing you will notice is the droopy flaps of his mouth that resemble the dog from Turner & Hooch. He is a sleek but nervous dog with no indentations typically left by a collar, with a clean coat. I suspect that the M-i-L's suggestion of him being a Great Dane cross might not be far off, but there is something else there as well - probably Greyhound based on the streamline body. That being said, the posture of our visitor, tail coiled out in all its glory, is reminiscent of a Saint Bernard.
The household doesn't know what to do about this poor laddie. He obviously has no indication of a previous collar so the possibility is that if he was cared for in the immediate sense, then he likely lives out here where we don't have dog catchers, and many of our neighbours lack the inclination to stick them on their companions. So, unless he is the long lost dog of the local farmer down the road (like $1000 reward for his return) then we will seriously need to spread the word if we ever hope to find his human home.
Update: The stray left the property soon after this post and hasn't been seen or heard from since then. If we ever see him again, we will contact the lady up the road to see if it is her canine companion. Regardless, I wish the majestic old man good luck in his doggy adventures.

0 Comments:

Archive